Tuesday, July 29, 2014

'\MSOLAP$POWERPIVOT:Memory\Memory Limit High KB' performance counter could not be found

I had problems in doing a data refresh for PowerPivot sheets. In the ULS logs I was getting the following error

System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail, System.ServiceModel, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken= ]]: The '\MSOLAP$POWERPIVOT:Memory\Memory Limit High KB' performance counter could not be found.  System error - Server stack trace:  

I checked the PerfMon and found that the MSOLAP counters were missing.

I tried the load the counters given in this link. But I got an error saying that the counters are already present. After lot of digging and discussion with Microsoft found that I need to set the following in the registry. For 64 bit Go to->  HKLM \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services\MSOLAP$POWERPIVOT\ Performance and set Disable Performance Counters = 2 .

For 32 bit installations set it to 0.

Restart the server that hosts the power-pivot and you should be able to see the  MSOLAP performance counters in PerfMon and PowerPivot data refresh should work.

In the first instance I do not know how the performance counters were disabled. Can anyone throw light on this?

Saturday, July 19, 2014

PDF will not open in client application in SharePoint 2010

My users preference is not to save the PDF's when they try to open it from a SharePoint Document Library.

My preference is, they should be able to open the PDF in PDF Viewer like word/excel client applications. We thought it is browser specific problem, and tested it in IE, Chrome and Firefox. IE requests the user to save the PDF document as given in the above picture and Chrome downloads the PDF's automatically.
So we concluded that this is not a browser issue and found the following solution.

The solution is to

  1. SharePoint 2010 Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Web Applications
  2. Select the choice of your web application
  3. Click General Settings in the ribbon
  4. Scroll down to Browser File Handling and choose Permissive
  5. Click OK to save the settings.

Also I checked the settings of "Opening Documents in the Browser " of user's document library is set to "open in client application". Now the users are able to open the PDF's in client application. Hope this helps you.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

How to change default open behavior for documents in a document library

One of my user asked me to find a way to set  the default open behavior for  documents in a document library as "Open in client application". He has many document libraries in his site.

I requested him to activate the site collection feature "Open Documents in Client Applications by Default" which will change the default open behavior for all the document libraries(Documents, Form Templates, Site Pages, Style Library etc) but not for Customized Reports document library.

Once he activated that feature, the default open behavior has been set to "Open in client application".
Can anyone tell me why the site collection feature "Open Documents in Client Applications by Default" did not change the default open behavior setting for Customized Reports document library?

Create a site collection which is already present in a web application

I wanted to check how SharePoint behaves, when we try to create a site collection with a title which is already present in the same web application.

SharePoint OOTB it prevents it by throwing a message "Another site already exists".

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Word WebApp encountered an unexpected error /Excel WebApp unable to process the request

In one of my newly created web application, the users tried to open Excel/Word documents using browsers. They were getting the following error and I had to investigate.

 I checked all the services on the WFE and Word viewer service, Excel calculation service were running. When i checked the event viewer for errors, I found the following in event viewer, which ringed the bell

Then I checked the Central Admin->Application Management-> Select the web application -> Service connections -> Configure service application associations and found that Excel Service and Word viewing service is not configured for this web application. When I enabled those for this application, users were able to view Excel/Word using browser. Hope this helps for you!!!

Friday, July 11, 2014

MyContent Link is missing/not visible in My Site

One of my user reported that he is not able to see the My Content link in his MySite.

All my users were able to see My Content link , but this user was not. Out of curiosity I checked the following

1) Central Admin -> Application management -> My site web application -> Self service site creation - It was enabled.
2) Central Administration->Application management -> Select User Profile Service ->MySite Settings-> All the configurations (My Site Host, Personal Site Location, Site Naming Format, Read Permission Level, Security Trimming Options etc) are correct.
3) Central Administration->Application management -> Select User Profile Service ->People->Manage User Permissions -> Added the user -> Enabled permissions for User personal features, Create personal site, Use social features. Now the user was able to see the My Content link and clicking on it created his personal site.

In my organisation , instead of enabling "User personal features, Create personal site, Use social features" for employees individually we created an AD group and enabled aforementioned permissions to that AD group. Finally I added the user who reported this error into that AD group which solved the problem.

Hope this helps for you as well!!!